January 31, 2017 | Comments Off on Live Gourmet’s Snack Ideas for your Super Bowl Party
Super Bowl Sunday may not be an official American holiday, but in many circles it’s treated as such. Did you know? “Roughly 60% of the take out ordered on Super Bowl Sunday is pizza. And about 28,000,000 pounds of chips, 1.25 billion chicken wings, and 8,000,000 pounds of guacamole are consumed,” writes Wikipedia.
If you’re counting down the hours until you and your friends can watch the Patriots and Falcons face off, consider serving a variety of finger foods and snacks that will satisfy your guests’ ranging palates and diets. To add some balance to your football feast, we’ve found a few healthy(ish) snacks to throw into the mix.
Here are a few of our favorites:
A Calculated Whisk’s Slow Cooker Carnitas Lettuce Wraps: Try this twist on barbecue at your upcoming shin-dig and serve with our Living Butter Lettuce.
Bon Appetit’s Grilled Flat Bread with Zucchini and Ricotta: We love this less greasy take on pizza. We recommend adding our Living Watercress for a subtle peppery bite and jolt of nutrition. By adding the “peppery” plant to a variety of meals, studies show it can significantly reduce DNA damage caused by free radicals — important in preventing cancer.
Eating Well’s Buffalo Cauliflower Bites: As One of the biggest food trends of 2016, the demand of cauliflower doesn’t seem to slowing in the New Year. And rightfully so, as a cruciferous cousin to our Living Watercress, it contains significant sources of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Even meat lovers will enjoy these flavorful alternatives to spicy chicken wings.
As a bonus, we’ve included a recipe of our very own: Live Gourmet’s Cressto Pesto with Crudite.
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 TB Tahini
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 2 – 3 Cups Grower Pete’s Living Watercress or Live Gourmet Upland Cress, packed
- ¼ Cup Chopped Parsley
- ½ Cup Chopped Toasted Walnuts or Almonds
- 1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Place the garlic, tahini and lemon juice in the food processor bowl and whiz until pureed.
- Add the walnuts and cress and pulse to blend. With the machine running, pour the olive oil in a steady stream into the bowl, process until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crudité like carrots, grape tomatoes, radishes and broccoli florets.