What would Fourth of July be without hot dogs grilled on the barbecue, your aunt’s famous cherry pie and creamy potato salad? Though these ubiquitous summer dishes are tasty, it doesn’t hurt to add fruits and veggies to your spread.
A red, white and blue salad made with Pete’s Living Greens Red Butter Lettuce will be a colorful tasty addition—not to mention it will boost your vitamin and mineral intake for the day. Did you know? “Red-leaf varieties of butter lettuce [like ours] feature leaves that are similar to green-leaf varieties but have distinctive edges, swirls or speckles of red on the foliage,” says the SF Gate.
Butter Lettuces have the softest leaves among all lettuce varieties and are tender with cup shaped leaves that create a loosely formed head. They often resemble a flowering rose. Red Butter Lettuce is rich in calcium and a good source of iron, vitamins A and C.
Pick up Pete’s Living Greens R Red Butter Lettuce in your local grocer’s fresh produce section and get cookin’!
- 1 Head of Pete's Living Greens Red Butter Lettuce
- ½ cup cherries halved and pitted
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of Cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients together except for the olive oil. Once the ingredients have been mixed well, slowly add the olive oil into the mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- Wash all of the salad ingredients and tear the Red Butter Lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Peel and dice the apple
- Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl and drizzle the dressing on top