Red Butter Lettuce adds a fun color and a great taste to any salad. It’s also rich in the vitamins and minerals that you and your kids need to stay healthy and happy. It can often be hard to get kids to eat healthy. So today we bring you a sweet and minty salad that may just do the trick. Full of yummy pears and tastebud tingling mint, this salad, from master chef Martha Stewart, is sure to delight.
In addition to making a great salad, today’s recipe includes a fantastic champagne dressing which can be used with many other salads as well. You’ll also have the option of making some delicious parsley toasts to go along with the salad. As with the dressing, this recipe is very versatile and can be combined with lots of others to great effect.
Here’s what you’ll need to start things off:
- 2 heads Live Gourmet Red Butter lettuce, torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Asian pear, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Parsley Toasts (optional)
- 1 baguette (about 14 inches long), cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
How do you cook with Red Butter Lettuce in your kitchen? We want to know!
Connect with Live Gourmet on the Web: