James Sly, chef and owner at Sly’s in Carpinteria, CA, has been working in kitchens for over 40 years – 20 in Santa Barbara alone. Chef Sly is wise in culinary ways and in 2008 he opened Sly’s with his wife Annie. Sly’s serves great seafood, steak, and cocktails. Go to Sly’s for great food and great times, they are located at linden and seventh in Carpinteria, California (“the last great little beach town on the Central Coast.”)
Chef Sly also loves cooking with Live Gourmet lettuce and leafy greens, please enjoy his delicious recipe for Fredy’s Salad below.
Fredy’s Salad recipe by Chef Sly
2 heads Live Gourmet Living Butter Lettuce
8 large cooked shrimp
2 roasted red peppers
½ cup cooked green beans
2 medium ripe tomatoes
4 oz. Roquefort cheese
2 ripe Haas avocados
8 strips cooked bacon
Optional: chopped Italian Parsley to garnish
1. Trim the roots off of each Live Gourmet Living Butter Lettuce. Rinse and shake dry. Cut in half and place each half on a serving plate. Sly’s uses very large shrimp; small bay shrimp would also work well.
2. Cut the shrimp in 1 inch chunks. Trim the ribs and stem from the roasted red peppers, and cut into large strips.
3. Cut the cooked green beans into 1-inch pieces. (In a pinch frozen green beans can substitute).
4. Cut the ripe tomatoes into 1 inch chunks.
5. Toss the shrimp, roasted red peppers, green beans and ripe tomatoes in Sly’s sherry vinaigrette dressing. (see next menu item below)
6. Pour equal portions of the vinaigrette over your four salads. Crumble the Roquefort cheese in large chunks.
7. Cut the ripe Haas avocados in 1-inch chunks. Warm cooked strips of bacon, and then cut
into 1-inch pieces.
8. Divide equally on top of the four salads. Toss with the chopped parsley to taste.
Also read about Live Gourmet Chef Jill Silverman Hough to get her Mini Butter Lettuce Taco Salads recipe.