It wasn’t too long ago that Hollandia Produce, L.P. launched its’ first ever recipe contest. And what a success it was!
This summer we asked customers to unleash their inner foodie and take a stab at creating a recipe that highlights our famous Living Butter Lettuce. The submissions poured in and the results, were nothing short of culinary euphoria. Throughout the remainder of this month we’ll be sharing those category winners and their recipes right here on our Lettuce Be Fresh Blog.
Here’s a sneak peek. This recipe was submitted by Mary McShack and her unconventional use of our Living Butter Lettuce won her 2nd place in the main course category.
- 3 cups packed, torn Live Gourmet Living Butter Lettuce Leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil + extra for coating the bread
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (8-inch) whole wheat hoagie buns, sliced
- 4 (1/8-inch thick) onion slices, roasted
- 6 slices of crisp cooked bacon
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved and roasted
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, pulse butter lettuce leaves and cashews until lettuce leaves are finely minced. Add chopped garlic and Romano cheese and pulse several times. With the food processor running, stream in the olive oil, continuing to process until ingredients are thoroughly blended. Scrape down the sides and stir in salt and pepper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Preheat a panini press or a griddle per manufacturer's instructions. For each panini: lightly brush the outside of the bread slices with olive oil. Place bread on work surface and spread 3 tablespoons of Gourmet Living Butter Lettuce Pesto on the inside of bottom half and inside of top half. On the bottom half of the roll, layer 2 slices of roasted onions, 3 bacon slices, half of the roasted tomatoes and half of the shaved Parmesan. Place remaining bread slice on top. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter lettuce pesto over the top piece of the bread.
- Lastly, place the sandwich on a preheated grill and cook 4-5 minutes, until toasted and cheese has melted. Place the warm panini on a serving plate and slather the top of your creation for added zest! Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients to make the last panini.
- Image shown: served with fried squash blossoms or sweet potato fries as a side with a small bowl of Live Gourmet Living Butter Lettuce Pesto for dipping.